Very commonly used in carpentry and woodwork, to provide a curved shape at the edge of a wood piece, a bullnose router bit is used. It is a type of a bit that is used with handheld or table-mounted routers and it converts the sharp edges of a wood piece into a smooth curved edge. It is available in the market in different sizes, starting from a quarter of an inch to one and one-eighth of an inch to make it so much easy to get perfect and smooth bullnose router bit edges.
Use of a Bullnose Router Bit
The bullnose router bit is majorly used to give a rounded shape to the edges of stair treads, window sills, shelves, etc. It can also be used to give an oval shape to the wooden furniture simply by using a bit with a bigger opening. Some of the router bits available in the market come pre-equipped with a bearing on the top and can even allow running according to the shape of the edge that is to be curved, making the work much more stable and easy. In older times, carpenters use to sand the entire surface and edges of the wood piece, no matter how long and the whole procedure would take hours at length to finish just a single piece. Now, with the bullnose router bit, the time required to get a perfect smoothly rounded edge takes a fraction of an hour to complete the entire wood piece.
Features of the Bullnose Router Bit
To get the perfect and smooth bullnose edge on your wood piece the bits come in various different sizes and according to requirements, the market also offers drill bits that come with a bearing preinstalled on top of the bit to make it earlier to follow a curved shape edge.
Following are some of the Features of the Bullnose Router Bit:
- Bits are available in a range of sizes for every need. Make sure, you must choose the right one according to your needs. You can also search such sets of bits online and choose a set where different types of router bits are available.
- These bits are marked with their cutting bead height which makes them easily identifiable.
- These bits are available in the market in both bearing guided and non-bearing guided forms to suit the needs accordingly.
- These bits are very easy and simple to install on the handheld or table-mounted routers. Simple and easy instructions on the literature that comes along with the bits help save time and money.
- The height of the bit is also easily adjustable according to the requirements of the wood piece to be worked upon. So, you can adjust their heights according to your needs and you can use such bits for different types of wooden furniture. Even, you can use such bits to smoothen the edges of your wooden windows and doors.
- Bullnose router bits are also used to create a bead profile on the edge of the wood piece, it is simple, all that is needed to be done is to use a bit that is smaller in size than the thickness of the edge and the upper and lower flat blades will do the rest.
With the invention of the bullnose router bits, all the carpentry work that involves working with the edges of a wood piece has become much more simple, easy and time-saving. With these bits, carpenters can easily finish their large scale projects on time. You can also use such bits to give a new look to your furniture.