A blocked drain is a very common issue that the majority of households face. This can turn out to be a very stressful problem if not taken care of at the right time. A clogged drain can lead to undesirable issues like the wastewater filling the tub or sink. You may even have to experience the unpleasant smell coming from a clogged or blocked drain. This is crucial to handle such problem immediately to prevent the drain pipes from bursting.
At times, this is better to deal with this particular issue of clogged or blocked drain first before you finally call for a plumber. These home remedies mentioned below can give you desirable results and save you a good amount of cash.
Methods Of Clearing Blocked Drains
Here are the processes of cleaning blocked drains that can fetch you some desirable results:
- Using a hook of a spare wire coat hanger
- Firstly, bend the wire coat hanger so that you can make it straight but keep the hook at the end.
- Then you have to push down the wire coat hanger and then fish inside the pipe. This will considerably facilitate the removal of the waste materials, which will eventually remove the blockage of the drain.
- Once you conduct the above step, you will soon understand that the wastage in the pipe is removed. Then you should pour some amount of hot water and then fly down the remaining wastes down the drain.
- Using caustic soda
- Firstly, fill in a container with approximately 2 liters of water and then add some three cups full of caustic soda. Then you have to mix both of these components well.
- The mixture will appear to fizz & heat up in due course. Then you should pour the mixture down the blocked drain. Then you have to leave the mixture to start reacting with the wastes for about 30 minutes.
- Then you can use some hot water for flush down the mixture.
- Hot water
This is indeed the easiest and most agile process of clearing blocked drains. All you require to do is boil up some water and then pour the water down the drain. You can also repeat this procedure to achieve the most desirable results. However, you need to wait for a while before you opt to pour the next round of hot water.
- Using a mixture of vinegar and baking soda
This is one of the proven processes of clearing blocked drains. The followings steps are to be used for this process:
- Firstly, mix one cup full of vinegar & a handful of baking soda in one container.
- Then, you are required to pour this mixture down the clogged drain. After that, you need to pour enough hot water into the drain to unclog the same.
- Using a plunger
A plunger is considered to be a great plumbing tool that is made of wooden handles and rubber. This clears up all the clogs very quickly & easily. Repeat the process until you get the desired result. Here are the steps involved:
- Firstly, fill up the sink with water unless the up of the plunger is completely immersed in water.
- You can put your plunger on the drain & then ensure that no air is trapped inside the plunger’s cup.
- Then, you are required to press the cup against the sink to seal it for some time.
- You need to finally thrust the plunger up & down very rapidly for gaining the best results.
- Finally, you have to flush the drain with boiling water for clearing the waste.
Following any process of clearing blocked drains can give you wonderful results even without calling a plumber. And, if you think it is unmanageable at home, the option of calling the professionals is always available.